N. WILKESBORO, N.C. (February 4, 2020) – You only get one chance to make a great first impression! Local homeowners are kicking exterior eyesores to the curb in hopes of enticing buyers — without breaking the bank!
According to the National Association of REALTORS® (NAR), the exterior remodeling projects with the biggest appeal to buyers are new roofing, new vinyl windows, new vinyl siding, and new garage doors. New roofing appeals the most to buyers, with a project recovery cost of 107 percent.
Local experts with Window World, America’s largest replacement window and exterior remodeling company, are helping homeowners weed through renovation projects to determine which ones add value — and which ones are a waste of time.
“A pool may be fun, but it’s not necessarily worth the time or money as far as resale value,” explains Window World Chairman and CEO Tammy Whitworth. “Upgrading a home’s garage door, windows and siding are great investments, and some smaller projects (like power washing the outside of your home) also do the trick. Window World’s Guide to Superb Curb Appeal helps homeowners boost their home’s appearance and value.”
Window World’s Guide to Superb Curb Appeal
Here are six easy ways to boost your home’s curb appeal (and get the biggest bang for your buck):
- Get a Green Thumb – A little green can go a long way! Buyers want to see a front yard that is aesthetically pleasing and easy to maintain — and you don’t have to fork over a ton of cash. Make sure bushes are symmetrical, cover bare spots in the lawn with seeds and sprinkle some colorful annuals along the edges. Standard lawn care service can recover 267 percent of the project cost at resale (NAR).
- Make Your Door Pop – Paint your front door a bold color that enhances your home. You could take it an extra step and get a replacement fiberglass door (which has the added benefit of boosting your home’s energy efficiency). Getting a replacement fiberglass door could offer a 74 percent return on your investment (NAR).
- Clean Up Your Home’s Act – A quick clean can make a world of difference. You can rent a power washer to spray away the dirt and grime on the outside of your home. Don’t forget to wash the outside of your windows, scrub the garage door and clean the gutters. Washing a house can add $10,000 to $15,000 to the sale prices of some houses (NAR).
- Welcome New Windows – Getting new replacement windows is one of the most cost-effective ways to increase your home’s resale value. If you feel a draft coming through your windows, or if you have older, single-pane glass, you may want to consider replacing them. A local home repair expert can come to your home for a free assessment to help determine the best options. Replacing your home’s vinyl siding, garage door and roof are also among the top exterior projects that bring in a high return investment.
- Don’t Be Afraid to Open Up – Often a potential buyer’s first impression is made from looking through pictures online. Open your blinds and curtains and take pictures when the sunshine is pouring in. The lighter the home, the more it will grab a potential buyer’s attention. This trick also works for traditional curb appeal since open drapes and blinds make a home feel more inviting. You can find tips on how to transform your home with natural light here.
- Small Changes Make a Big Difference – Take care of any loose ends, nails out of place, odd patches of paint, etc. Small defects can really stand out, and addressing them can make a big difference. Speaking of addresses, a quick way to make a bold change is to touch up or replace your house’s address numbers.
About Window World®
Window World®, headquartered in North Wilkesboro, N.C., is America’s largest replacement window and exterior remodeling company, with more than 200 locally owned franchises nationwide. Founded in 1995, the company sells and installs windows, siding, doors and other exterior products, with over 17 million windows sold to date. Window World is an ENERGY STAR® partner and its windows, vinyl siding and Therma-Tru doors have all earned the Good Housekeeping Seal. In 2019, Window World was ranked “Highest in Customer Satisfaction with Window and Patio Door Retailers, 5 out of 7 Years” by J.D. Power. Through its charitable foundation, Window World Cares®, Window World and its franchisees provide funding for St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital®, which honored the company with its Organizational Support Award in 2017. Since its inception in 2008, the foundation has raised over $10.75 million for St. Jude. Window World also supports the Veterans Airlift Command, a nonprofit organization that facilitates free air transportation to wounded veterans and their families. As a member of that network, Window World’s corporate jet has provided transportation for over 115 missions, transporting 140 veterans and logging over 420 hours in the air. Furthering its support for the military community, For more information, visit WindowWorld.com or call 1-800 NEXTWINDOW. For home improvement and energy efficiency tips, décor ideas and more, follow Window World on Facebook and Twitter.
Window World received the highest score among Retailers in the J.D. Power 2019 Window & Patio Door Satisfaction Study of customers’ satisfaction with their windows and/or patio doors purchase. Visit jdpower.com/awards for more information.